Polkashots.io maintenance January-April 2023
We are submitting a proposal for retroactive funding for polkashots.io for the months of January-April 2023. Following this date, the service will be terminated. Per developer guidelines, we want to invite validators to switch to Warp Sync.
Polkashots was primarily developed as an internal tool for our own usage. We made it available to all, becoming the first such service in existence, in early 2021.
We have funded this service alternatively with Polkadot and Kusama treasuries. We are submitting our final proposal to the Polkadot treasury.
We have been offering:
- a functioning infrastructure to provide usable blockchain database snapshots for the Polkadot and Kusama networks, to the benefit of node operators and validators,
- new snapshots at least once per day. Snapshots are filesystem dumps of the Polkadot and Kusama node storage backend files, of variety RocksDb and ParityDb, of type pruned, with a depth of 1000 blocks, compressed in lz4 format, that can be used by validators to quickly spin up or restore their infrastructure,
- a website frontend at polkashots.io with relevant metadata and download links, including a permanent link that always redirects to the most recent snapshot,
- best effort incident and problem management,
- redundant implementation setup which allows for continuity, seamless upgrades and basic disaster recovery & contingency management.
Full proposal is here.